Russia-Ukraine live updates: 15 killed in Russian missile strike on residential building in Donetsk region
At least six survivors have been rescued Sunday from the rubble of three apartment buildings purportedly hit by Russian missiles in the Donetsk region of eastern Ukraine, but emergency officials said at least 24 people, including a 9-year-old child, remain unaccounted for and are feared buried under the debris.
At least 15 people were killed when four Russian rockets slammed into the residential buildings Saturday evening in the town of Chasiv Yar, according to Viacheslav Boitsov, deputy chief of emergency service in the Donetsk region.
“They were likely Iskander missiles. A part of a building collapsed, from the fifth to the first floor. There are likely injured people still (under the rubble),” Boitsov told The Associated Press.
Pavlo Kyrylenko, governor of the Donetsk region that includes Chasiv Yar, told The AP that as many as 24 people were believed still trapped in the rubble, including a 9-year-old child.
Russian officials claimed its forces struck Ukrainian army hangars storing U.S.-produced M777 howitzers, a type of artillery, near Kostyantynivka in Donetsk region, but, so far, it has not claimed responsibility for the missile strike on the residential building in Chasiv Yar.
The latest rescue came late Sunday when emergency workers rescued a man after a lengthy operation to free him from under the concrete. Video showed a rescue team carrying the man out of the ruins on a stretcher. He was whisked away to a hospital. It was not immediately clear how severely injured he was.
Emergency Services officials said the latest rescue brought to six the number of survivors dug out of the rubble.
Cranes and excavators worked alongside rescue teams into the night to clear away the ruins of one building, its walls wholly shorn off by the impact of the strike.